Saturday, September 20, 2008

What's on Jay's mind?




Elder Richard G. Scott recently gave a talk at the graduation ceremony for BYU students this last summer. In his talk (which is very inspirational) he gave very 'simple yet profound' key principles or steps that would help our journey in this life. One key principle he listed was to Trust in the Lord. "Follow His commandments and you will be filled with inspiration and power. You will obtain goals beyond your personal capacity." I love that promise and have found in my life that it is very true. I have thought more recently about this promise and how it may relate to marriage. Rarely, is marriage a joy ride as you think it may be the months before you get married or on your honeymoon. ;) Marriage is a goal that must be chosen and then DILIGENTLY pursued. It is a conscious choice that both husband and wife make and then must constantly work together to uphold. As one works towards this goal, he or she will find more joy and happiness than ever before. Being married is much different then being single...go figure. Since being married I have discovered more of my weaknesses. These weaknesses, I know, in time will only bring me closer to my husband and to the Lord. As I pray, set goals and trust in the Lord I will in time be perfected and reach above my personal capacity. While on my mission my mission president once wrote me a note that I know was guided by the spirit. He told me that the Lord was watching over me, knew of my imperfections, and in time I would be perfect. However, the Lord expects no one to be perfect right now. He only expects you to try. Trying is what makes you perfect. Never stop trying. This note came to me a few weeks before I went to the E.R one night with chest pains. I had a physical weakness at that moment and for months to follow but as I layed there in the hospital bed He made me strong as I talked to a less active member, who we had been trying to find, about church. I guess in a round about way what I am trying to get at is that marriage is hard but worth it. Both partners have weaknesses. Neither is perfect! Isn't that a relief? To know that it's not just you with imperfections. My heart gets sick each time I hear of another divorce, a separation, even to see it on T.V. or in the movies. I pray that each person will make marriage a goal. A goal to be obtained here in this life or the next. There are so many people in this world who are putting their wants and their needs before marriage. How sad. I wish all people could see the beauty of an eternal marriage. An eternal marriage gives purpose to life and fills my soul with so much joy. True joy. For those of you who are already married, I encourage you to continue setting daily goals to strengthen your marriage. Do not take it lightly. Do not place other things, people, duties before him or her. Make your wife or husband your number one priority. After all it is a commandment. (Doc. & Cov. 42:22).

If you were currently taking my ethics class with me I suppose you would be calling me a moralist right about now. One who proclaims repentance or teaches another their morals. Well, then I guess it would fit but this is just what's on Jay's mind right now.




No comments: