Sunday, May 18, 2008

PHEIDIPPIDES

The marathon race commemorates the run of the soldier Pheidippides from a battlefield near Marathon, Greece, to Athens in 490 B.C., bringing news of a Greek victory over the Persians. Pheidippides collapsed and died at the end of his historic run, thereby setting a precedent for dramatic conclusions to the marathon. In 1896, in Greece, when the Olympics were started, the legend of Pheidippides was revived by a 24.85 mile run. Nine runners finished the very first "marathon" and thus, the marathon was born!
Yesterday, my sister, Josh's aunt Lisa and I, along with 2,000 other runners, kept the tradition going!

We ran the Ogden Marathon and the scenery was beautiful!!! This was my very first marathon! I have wanted to do one for awhile but never had the guts to do it. The first 20 miles I felt great but after that my body slowly began shutting down. Literally! I had to say to myself over and over "lift your left leg, now the right leg." On mile 12 there were some people holding signs actually making fun of us marathoners. One sign said, "Running is a mental sport and it takes a MENTAL person to run one!" HA! I had a great race day and I was lucky enough to run it with my sister!! Thanks, Steph!!! I can't wait to run my next one!!

2 comments:

Jacob and Emily said...

You even got a medal! That's awesome. Bring it to work!

Dagley Family said...

You are so cool for finishing. Nice truck in the background do you want to buy it? I had fun running with you. Thanks!